Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"O" is for a very important word, a color & shapes



Our letter assignment this week from Mrs. Matlock is the letter "O". This assignment wasn't easy so I had to study a lot to come up with my papers for the letter "O".

"O" begins a VERY important word....Once~~~
as in "Once upon a time".....

Soooo many enjoyable stories begin with "Once" that this word has become commonplace in children's literature. How many of our favorite stories started with this intriguing word? Just think of how this introductory word has transformed our lives by allowing us into various plots that take us to places we never imagined.

"O" also begins words like Oscar, opera, and oranges
I did not take French in school but I'm sure the words on this page translate to "Oscar sings opera and sells some oranges". Please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is a vintage ad for Good Luck Oleomargarine. It is also orange in color!

More variations of the color orange!

"O" also plays an important role in the names of shapes.
An oval is something that all children should learn as it has such a definitive shape.

Ovals are seen everywhere!

My mother's silhouette is even in an oval!

An obelisk is also an interesting shape to learn and know. We see obelisks quite often in architecture.

This concludes my assignment on the letter "O". Please visit other students from Mrs. Matlock's class to see their "O" papers and read their explanations.
This is linked back to Alphabe-Thursday for the letter "O".

20 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

Once upon a time.... 4 of the most marvelous words a child will ever hear!

Mimi said...

HI!!!
Once upon a time is the most favorite line of all, our little Princess grand daughter loves all fairy tales!!!!
Great words,
jamie

Jo said...

I love that you hit on "Once upon a time"... that immediately takes me into childhood ...now i have an overwhelming desire to read some faerie tales.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I love that vintage ad. The artwork is so charming.

Unknown said...

One outstanding oration on o.

SOINSPIRED said...

I love your Mother's silhouette. Is that framed and hanging up in your home?

laterg8r said...

i love peter rabbit and your mom's silhouette :D

Jenny said...

Oh, I love this post. The graphics, the words, the Once Upon a Time!

Your blog is always so beautiful and one of my favorite stops each week on Alphabe-Thursday!

A+

Jackie said...

Yes Oscar sings Opera and sells oranges is right :) Nice post

Jessica said...

I love your vintage prints! My daughter has the whole lil set of Peter Rabbit books and they are adorable! I always loved those stories as a lil girl...I would make my dad read the longest ones so I could stay up late:)

Debbiedoos said...

Loved that! Very clever and creative, I love the vintage picture with the Orange background!

Terra said...

Oh, I think you might like the post I just put up tonight. It features your fav word (though I posted it long before coming by!!!) I loved the photos with your post - just a fun one to read. THanks!

Tracy said...

Hi thanks for visit and comments see you next week

easternsparkle said...

Great post - spot on with the translation as well!!

Steph said...

What a lovely post. I dearly cherish the words once upon a time. And your images are wonderful. Your mother's silhouette is also such a treasure. Thank you for putting this altogether and sharing your O thoughts so well.

Betty said...

You are so right. I never even thought of Once upon a time.

Unknown said...

my favorite is Once upon a time.....I still love fairy tales........

kayellen said...

How wonderful!!

I love Peter Rabbit! A fav of mine~~~

Such special things and memories..that silhouette of your Mom~~priceless!

Happy May Day and Pink Saturday!!

xoxo
Kay Ellen

Unknown said...

oh that peter rabbit--so cute!

Sarah said...

Once upon a time . . . words every child wants to use to start their own story. :-) This is a delightful post!